1.30.2009

The Hads and Have Nots

Is it odd that the more time I spend out of work, the more I struggle to entertain people with jobs? It feels like that's constantly hanging over my head; some else has a job, while I do not. I'm constantly reminded of my current professional status, when I check my balance, or sluice through the deals on Amazon, or even think about what to do this weekend. And I don't really need the extra punch in the face of 24-hour news coverage squawking about the downturn economy, and the ethics of a government bailout in a free economy, or the rising number of people on unemployment.

I don't want to be out of work, sitting around, searching for job postings, but with such little opportunity, I don't have much choice. However, let me get to the real reason I figured up the old blog. I recently received some mail; no, I did not get a job. In fact, they were rejection letters, from Massachusetts' health care and a job application. Let's count. I received 6 (SIX) letters from the MassHealth organization explaining, in awkward terms with letters, numbers, and extra punctuation, why I am ineligible for their services. Even though I'm unemployed and cannot join another plan for eight months, I'm ineligible? My world won't end; I don't visit doctors too often, any way, but it is required in Massachusetts. What really fries my tomatoes is the six (6) letters I received, all stating the same thing. Why six? One won't work? Each cost $.32 to send, contained four sheets of paper, required ink for printing, and (probably) several individuals to review and mail. Why waste more money on the five extra copies that don't help me anyway? Jerks. Send out one letter; yes or no. That's it.

Oh, and wait, I also received two letters from the same company, for the same position to tell me I didn't get the job. Do you get off sending out those letters, superior in the fact you have a job and I don't? I can read; I know what "all positions have been filled" means. Actually, you sending me the same format letter twice wouldn't help me understand the situation any better if I couldn't figure out rejection number one. Stop wasting your money and my time. One letter. Just one.

Some would say in difficult times like these, we can't see the forest for the trees, but in actuality, we can't the forest because we cut down all the trees to send out the same goddamn letter fourteen times to one person. Knock it off and show some restraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment